The Warehouse Residency is Arts House’s new Disability-led residency and commissioning program focusing on experimental projects presented at North Melbourne Town Hall.
Expressions of Interest now open until Thursday 14 October, 5pm AEST
The Warehouse Residency centres and celebrates D/deaf, Disabled, neurodiverse and chronically ill artists, curators, collectives and their collaborating allies. Two opportunities are available each year for five years, so that creatives can grow their practices in self determined and sustainable ways.
The Warehouse Residency has been co-devised by six D/deaf, Disabled and neurodiverse artists – Luke King, Hannah Morphy-Walsh, Pauline Vetuna, Jonathan Craig, Kath Duncan and Eva Sifis, alongside Arts Access Victoria and Arts House. The group collectively decided on the following guiding principles:
- Respect the wisdom that lived experiences brings
- Be artist-led and self-determined
- Support multiple-marginalised disabled people
- Embrace flexibility and choice, and be responsive to the individual
- Create an environment of safety and care
- Support risk-taking and experimentation
We want to support the diversity of lived experiences in the disability community and particularly encourage multiple-marginalised disabled people to apply.
Participants receive a dedicated studio space at North Melbourne Town Hall for 3-months, fees, equipment, production expertise, consultation and mentor support, with presentation as part of Arts House’s program in 2022.
Read the following for more details:
- Read Info Pack and FAQ’s in PDF
- Read Info Pack and FAQ’s in Word
- Listen to audio about The Warehouse Residency
- Download excel doc budget template
- Download google doc budget template
- Easy English Program Guide – available soon
- EOIs close: Thursday 14 October, 5pm AEST
- Arts House Annual Call-Out Info Session: Tuesday 21 September, 5.30pm
- Arts House Call-Out Access Info session 2pm Wednesday 22 September 2021
- The Gathering Arts Access Victoria hosted Session: Tuesday 28 September, 2.30pm
- Notification of short-listed artists: Thursday 25 November
- Selection meetings with short-listed artists: Thursday 2 – Friday 10 December
- Final Notifications: mid-December
2022 Residency Dates and Available Spaces
Residency: March – May in the Warehouse
Presentation: August in a Studio or the Warehouse, with an option for other uses of the building
Residency: June – August in Warehouse
Presentation: November in a Studio or the Warehouse, with an option for other uses of the building
- View Arts House Building Pack with access info in PDF
- View Arts House Building Pack with access info in Word
The Warehouse Residency is a development and presentation program for Victorian-based artists, curators and collectives. Projects are presented 3 months after the residency at Arts House.
Each project receives:
- $25,000 cash for creative fees and materials and $4,000 budget for access services and support
- 3 months residency and up to 1 month presentation
- Paid support for a consultant / mentor and separate consultation session to explore embedding access into the project
Arts House covers the costs of production, technical crew, front of house, marketing and publicity.
How to apply
We want you to apply in the format that is easiest for you. You can submit these formats through the SmartyGrants application system:
- Auslan video (we can arrange interpretation of your video if needed)
- Audio message
Please get in touch with us prior to the closing date if you need to submit your application outside of the SmartyGrants system or via a recorded zoom for access reasons.
Arts Access Victoria is also offering application support. Please contact: email@example.com Phone 03 9699 8299 (voice only).
Come along to Arts House’s Call-Out Info Session on Zoom hosted by Artistic Director Emily Sexton to hear more about the programs.
Arts House Call-Out Info Session
Tuesday 21 September, 5.30pm – BOOK HERE
Arts House’s Access Call-Out Info Session on Zoom
Wednesday 22 September, 2.00pm – BOOK HERE
The Gathering – Hosted by Arts Access Victoria
Tuesday 28 September, 2.30pm 90mins
RSVP by 12pm Tuesday 28 September to firstname.lastname@example.org with your access requirements and to receive the Zoom link.
These sessions will be Auslan interpreted.
Got a Question?
If you have read our documents and attended the Info Session but still have questions, please contact:
Sarah Rowbottam, Creative Producer
0447 570 178 (text only) 03 9322 3720 (voice only)
National Relay Service (NRS)
TTY users: phone 13 36 77 – then ask for – 03 9322 3720
Speak and Listen users: phone 1300 555 727 – then ask for – 03 9322 3720
Internet relay users: connect to the NRS (www.internet-relay.nrscall.gov.au) – then type in – 03 9322 3720
Header image: Imagined Touch by Jodee Mundy Collaborations, Photo by Bryony Jackson
Image description: An image of two female performers, both with brown hair, standing on a stage with a flame-red curtain backdrop. Each performer is next to an interpreter dressed head to toe in red. Each person has different facial expressions of joy, mischief and surprise and they are gesturing to one another in highly expressive ways.