We’re throwing a party! We're not quite sure when, but we're commissioning new work to celebrate the day our doors are thrown open once more. Short, site-responsive work across artforms and representing the diversity of contemporary Australia, please. We love what you do and can't wait to hear what you come up with next. It's been a time.
Arts House is calling for submissions from contemporary artists for artworks that will be programmed into our reopening party.
While we don’t yet know when the party will take place, we are excited to imagine the time when our beloved North Melbourne Town Hall is once again alive with artists and community, and so we invite artists from all artforms to create short, focused works able to be readily installed across the Arts House site as part of our “Housewarming Commissions.”
Take a walk around Arts House to see what spaces you can make work for.
Selected works will be site-responsive, from any artform and represent the diversity of contemporary Australia. We are looking for short performances (3-7 minutes long) and focused installations that can form part of a constellation that celebrates Melbourne’s independent arts sector. The event will take place across one day only, and be free to the public.
There is no imperative to respond directly to the current pandemic, though we of course acknowledge many artists may choose to reflect on this unprecedented time: what it means to be apart, and what will it mean to come together once again.
– Create work that’s able to be programmed as part of a larger series of diverse artworks
– Make the work in your own home, or within current government restrictions and advice
– Likely be working solo, or if you are a collective, be able to collaborate via digital means
– Receive support from the Arts House team via digital means only during the majority of your development phase
– Require a maximum of one or two days installation/bump-in into the building, mostly using existing equipment within Arts House’s technical store
We welcome proposals from set, AV, sound and lighting designers keen to contribute to the overall design and aesthetic of the party.
Funds per project will be set at a maximum of $5000. Arts House works within LPA and NAVA recommended wages and works should be conceived within these limited fees available. Funds will cover fees and materials for the development and presentation of the work. This particular program is open to Victorian artists only.
For this call-out and across all our programming, Arts House is keenly interested to hear from First Nations people, artists with a disability and culturally and linguistically diverse communities. Regional Victorian artists are also welcome to apply. Note: There is no travel or accommodation allowance for regional Victorian artists.
Open for applications : Friday 1 May
Close applications: Monday 25 May, midnight
Notifications from: 15 June
How to apply
Apply now via SmartyGrants
If you are unable to complete the online form and prefer to submit a video or audio response to the questions please send a URL link (Dropbox / YouTube/ Vimeo) by the closing date to Olivia.firstname.lastname@example.org
The online application asks you to consider the questions below.
• About your artform, and provide a brief biography;
• What your idea is;
• What the experience will be for the audience;
• Your ideal technical requirements; projection, lighting, sound, installation set up, etc;
• And provide a brief overview of a budget, including artist fees for the development and presentation and materials