MASS MOVEMENT AUDIO PILGRIMAGE
Arts House for Refuge 2021.
Following the coordinates of saltwater, freshwater and civic water, MASS MOVEMENT is an audio pilgrimage in 10 Vaka (vessels), inviting contemplation and visceral interactions about the humanitarian disaster of displacement.
Experiencing this artwork:
Listen to each vaka on your personal device in a quiet place.
In receiving this journey, be attuned to how your body listens.
Give yourself permission to move your body responding freely and safely.
Duration: 32 minutes
Warnings Vaka 5 contains loud static noises that might be uncomfortable
If you would like to do the walk which has inspired this artwork, follow the instructions below:
- Commence at Altona Beach foreshore and follow the signs of the coastal walking trail to Gem Pier in Williamstown [9.5 km]
- From here catch the Williamstown Ferry one way to South Bank [1 hour]
- When you disembark follow Flinders Walk to Enterprise Park [800 m]
- Cross Flinders Street to William Street, continuing North by foot to Flagstaff Gardens [1.2 km]
- Alternatively, you may catch the 58 tram to Flagstaff Gardens. [10 mins]
Please note: all distances are estimates.
There is a small fee for catching the Williamstown Ferry.